“Jolene” – words and music by Dolly Parton
parody lyrics by Roy Zimmerman and Melanie Harby
Only one week before voting on a bill to take health care away from tens of millions of Americans, Senate Republicans have finally revealed what’s in their health care repeal plan – and they’ve managed to make the House’s horrific bill EVEN WORSE by including even larger cuts to Medicaid. These cuts would ultimately destroy Medicaid, an essential program for untold numbers of seniors, children, and families.
Like the House bill, this plan would also raid Medicare’s dedicated funding and massively increase health insurance costs for millions of Americans, especially those in their 50s and early 60s.
Call your Senators at 202-224-3121 and DEMAND THEY VOTE NO on this catastrophic bill.
Every week Bill Maher has guests who are extreme right wing psychopaths on air and he normalizes them. Despite this, he never has anyone from the left spectrum of politics except the occasional appearance from Cornel West. There is a liberal media bias and it’s against actual left wingers…
“Perhaps the success of the national parks under government management stands as a threat to their worldview. If the government can run our parks so well, maybe it can manage other things, too. For this reason, the extreme right has sought to discredit the service at every turn.”
Welcome to Best Buy’s Yosemite Hiking Center? Glacier National Park, brought to you by Aquafina, and Shenandoah-Verizon, can you hear it now?
In the last week we’ve had a burrito shop shut down because “white people engaged in cultural appropriation” by making burritos, a celebrity was attacked for posting a picture in a bikini on Memorial Day, and the latest rage about trump is his incoherent tweet.
This is America in 2017. This is why we don’t have nice things
I’ve spent much of this week in Washington – talking with friends still in government, former colleagues, high-ranking Democrats, a few Republican pundits, and some members of Congress from both sides of the aisle. It was my first visit to our nation’s capital since Trump became president.
1. Washington is more divided, angry, bewildered, and fearful – than I’ve ever seen it.
2. The angry divisions aren’t just Democrats versus Republicans. Rancor is also exploding inside the Republican Party.
3. Republicans (and their patrons in big business) no longer believe Trump will give them cover to do what they want to do. They’re becoming afraid Trump is genuinely nuts, and he’ll pull the party down with him.
4. Many Republicans are also angry at Paul Ryan, whose replacement bill for Obamacare is considered by almost everyone on Capitol Hill to be incredibly dumb.
5. I didn’t talk with anyone inside the White House, but several who have had dealings with it called it a cesspool of intrigue and fear. Apparently everyone working there hates and distrusts everyone else.
6. The Washington foreign policy establishment – both Republican and Democrat – is deeply worried about what’s happening to American foreign policy, and the worldwide perception of America being loony and rudderless. They think Trump is legitimizing far-right movements around the world.
7. Long-time civil servants are getting ready to bail. If they’re close to retirement they’re already halfway out the door. Many in their 30s and 40s are in panic mode.
8. Republican pundits think Bannon is even more unhinged than Trump, seeking to destroy democracy as we’ve known it.
9. Despite all this, no one I talked with thought a Trump impeachment likely, at least not any time soon — unless there’s a smoking gun showing Trump’s involvement in Russia’s intrusion into the election.
10. Many people asked, bewilderedly, “how did this [Trump] happen?” When I suggest it had a lot to do with the 35-year-long decline of incomes of the bottom 60 percent; the growing sense, ever since the Wall Street bailout, that the game is rigged; and the utter failure of both Republicans and Democrats to reverse these trends – they gave me blank stares.
What do you think?